Instructional Strategist II tuition reimbursement coming to a close
Emily Thatcher from the DE provided the following information, The Strategist II: ID Online Compressed Program of Study and Iowa Department of Education tuition reimbursement will no longer be offered after this upcoming Spring Semester. Please contact Mike Cavin, at the Board of Educational Examiners- email@example.com to determine teacher eligibility for participation and any of the following Institutes of Higher Education for course registration/enrollment.
It is highly recommended that you follow-up with your teachers who may currently hold the conditional endorsement to ensure that they are completing the coursework in a timely manner and taking advantage of the tuition reimbursement opportunity before it is done.
U.S. Department of Education Releases Guidance on the Use of Restraint and Seclusion in Schools
December 28, 2016 – The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) today issued legal guidance to school districts as to how the use of restraint or seclusion can result in discrimination against students with disabilities, in violation of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. In addition, the Department also released a “Fast Facts” document that provides a brief overview of the guidance.
U.S. Department of Education Releases a Parent and Educator Resource Guide to Section 504 in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
December 28 2016 – The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) today issued a resource guide to help parents and the public elementary and secondary school community understand student rights and school district responsibilities under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), a Federal civil rights law that prohibits disability discrimination.
Office for Civil Rights Releases Guidance on the Prevention of Racial Discrimination in Special Education
The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) today issued guidance addressing the interplay of the Title VI prohibition against discrimination on the basis of race/color/national origin in the administration of special education in public schools.
Professional Development Opportunities, January – February
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Training – OTTUMWA
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Training – BURLINGTON
- Youth Mental Health First Aid (YMHFA) – OTTUMWA
- Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP) Overview Workshop – OTTUMWA
- Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP) Overview Workshop-BURLINGTON
- Developing a Social Skills Tool Box – OTTUMWA
- Developing a Social Skills Tool Box – BURLINGTON
- Evidence Based Practices in Autism – OTTUMWA
- Evidence Based Practices in Autism – BURLINGTON
- Iowa LETRS (Language Essentials for Teachers of Reading and Spelling): Modules 7-9 BURLINGTON
- Iowa LETRS (Language Essentials for Teachers of Reading and Spelling): Modules 7-9 – OTTUMWA
- RESPECT: Recognizing Everyones Strengths by Peacebuilding, Empathizing, Communicating and Trustbuilding – Oskaloosa
- Navigating the Transition Process; Planning for Educators and Families – FAIRFIELD
- Teaching Students with Dyslexia and Dysgraphia – BURLINGTON
- Teaching Students with Dyslexia and Dysgraphia – OTTUMWA