The Cornerstone – September 2017Welcome to Great Prairie AEA’s Agency newsletter, The Cornerstone!
- Wishing you a successful 2017-18 school year!
- GPAEA Website: New Look, Same Navigation
- Instructional Services Professional Learning Opportunities
- GPAEA Science Support for 2017-18
- GPAEA Sunsets Eduvision Portal
- Special Education Professional Learning Opportunities
- Heads up: Web Accessibility continues to be a hot issue
- Join us for a Blended Learning Coaching Academy
- Join us for an Assistive Technology Expo – September 12 & 19
- Opportunity for High School Juniors and Seniors – United State Senate Youth Program
- STEM Council, Kemin Industries Open Call for Nominations
- Get Ready for a New Name: AEA Learning Online
- Burlington Autism Classroom Receives Support from GPAEA
College and Career Readiness resources for all Iowa schools through the AEA Postsecondary Readiness & Equity Partnership (PREP)
Future Ready Iowa promotes the reality that Iowans need postsecondary education and training to meet the state’s workforce demands and economic development needs, and to provide each Iowan with a living wage. While there are many adults currently in the workforce who are eligible to upgrade their education and skills, K-12 schools possess access to the greatest number of entrants into the talent pipeline needed to meet the goal that 70% of Iowans have education or training beyond high school. Postsecondary readiness is a promise that all K-12 schools should make to the greater than 90% of Iowa high school students who graduate each year. This is supported by the AEA Compact which states that “every child who graduates from an Iowa public or accredited, nonpublic school will be prepared for success in postsecondary studies, a career, and citizenship.” In addition, the Compact states “a postsecondary readiness goal will be established that most accurately identifies and tracks postsecondary success.”
To accomplish this goal, Iowa’s AEAs have created a statewide partnership and resource center to improve postsecondary readiness and education attainment, with a focus on closing attainment gaps that exist for those populations traditionally underrepresented in higher education, including first generation college students, students from low socioeconomic households, racial and ethnic minorities, and students with disabilities. This newly established entity is AEA PREP (Postsecondary Readiness & Equity Partnership), and will focus on building equitable capacity throughout Iowa, across the AEAs, and schools. AEA PREP operates out of Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency in Bettendorf and is being coordinated by David Ford.
The primary functions of AEA PREP include:
- the collection and distribution of timely and relevant postsecondary readiness data to districts including the creation of a statewide postsecondary data dashboard with district-specific data;
- the development of a statewide network of postsecondary readiness leads with specialized training in leading and implementing postsecondary readiness initiatives and programs;
- a resource center for K-12 educators to improve postsecondary readiness, including the latest research, evidence-based practice, webinars, presentations, and other relevant materials.
AEA PREP will centralize and streamline the data collection and follow-up district professional development/support needed to improve equitable student postsecondary readiness outcomes. In addition, AEA PREP:
- is led by a director, who is responsible for oversight of the data collection, data warehouse, dashboards, professional development, and training of an equitable, statewide professional network of postsecondary readiness leads in each AEA.
- provides data analyst leadership and support, responsible for all aspects of data collection, warehousing, and software development of data dashboards.
- develops and maintains a resource center for all AEAs and school districts to access and use, including webinars, presentations, updated research, and data dashboards.
Your AEA and the statewide system of AEAs are excited to offer AEA PREP as a resource to enable more students to achieve college and career readiness. Early results of the process have been encouraging, so look for more details soon and get your district on board!